Strategy and Business Policy
|Teaching Hours and Credit Allocation:
||30 Hours, 6 Credits
||Coursework & Exam
Strategic Management is the theory and practice of making decisions that shape the future of the firm. This course looks at the content and process of strategic decision making from the perspective of managers who are responsible for an entire business unit. These may be individuals who are acting in the capacity of Chief Executive of a company, divisional General Managers, or departmental heads. It is also the perspective most often expected of students of management, who may be expected to deal with business situations from a wide range of perspectives. The course will make it possible for students to:
- Appreciate the complexity of strategic decision making
- Develop strategic analysis skills (environment, industry and organisation)
- Comment on the strategy of an organisation and its competitive position
During the course students should:
- develop the capabilities required for undertaking the responsibilities and tasks involved in strategic management
- understand the fundamental tools, techniques, and practices of strategic management and examine their application to different organizational contexts
- be able to explore and assess business problems and challenges of managerial importance
- be encouraged to think in a more strategic fashion about the company and its business operations and/or market potential
- understand the process through which business organizations can achieve strong advantage positions and enhanced performance outcomes
- gain understanding of how firms develop key resources and capabilities.
- An introduction to strategic management, with a focus on what is meant by the term “strategy”
- Strategic Analysis, tools and techniques (industry analysis, core capabilities, generic strategies and perceived use value).
- Practical experience applying theory, tools and techniques through case studies and assessment project
- Strategy as Competitive Positioning and as Resource and Knowledge Advantage.